Actor Randy Quaid ordered released; facing removal from Canada next week

Actor Randy Quaid ordered released; facing removal from Canada next week

Main pic: Actor Randy Quaid arrives at his Immigration and Refugee Board hearing in Montreal, Thursday, October 8, 2015. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Peter McCabe.

MONTREAL — Actor Randy Quaid has been ordered released by the Immigration and Refugee Board but still faces being sent back to the United States next week.

Quaid appeared before the board this afternoon for a detention review.

A Canada Border Services Agency official told the board member hearing the case that Quaid was arrested because it was felt he wouldn’t comply with an order to leave the country next Wednesday.

But that fear was rejected by the board member and Quaid was ordered released.

The 65−year−old Quaid was informed this week he would be sent back to the United States, where he faces an oustanding warrant and pending criminal charges.

Quaid and his wife, a Canadian, fled north of the border in 2010, alleging they were the victims of persecution.

The actor has previously said he’s willing to return to his native United States to deal with those legal cases.

The Canadian Press

Categories: Arts & Culture, News

About Author

Write a Comment

Only registered users can comment.