Remparts Take a Win from Kelowna Rockets

Remparts Take a Win from Kelowna Rockets

Quebec City (Quebec) 24 May 2015 – And one for the Remparts who saw the pressure drop significantly after defeating the most anticipated tournament team at the Memorial Cup, the Kelowna Rockets, by the score of 4 to 3.

Philippe Boucher’s men bounced back from their heart-breaking defeat against the Rimouski Oceanic in the seventh game of the final of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Adrenaline had its role to play, according to Philippe Boucher. “Many were concerned about the effect of the series in seven games, the heart-breaking defeat. They are a resilient group and they rebounded. I think we were still on adrenaline.”

The Rockets had come up against the Québec team with the reputation to beat the Remparts and did not take long to establish themselves in the first period. Now in the game with force, the men of Philippe Boucher broke the ice quickly. 5:18 after the start of the game, Nikolas Brouillard recovered the puck left free after a Kelowna player had tripped Vladimir Tkachev then scored the first goal of the tournament with a powerful slapshot.

In the second period, the Remparts began by securing a two-goal lead in a funny way. Vladimir Tkachev controlled the game in the offensive zone when he made a pass to Matt Murphy. The shot hit Anthony Duclair and Rockets goaltender who only partially stopped the puck. Result: the little black disc continued his walk slowly to the back of the net. Marc-Olivier Roy also got an assist on the play.

As for the Rockets, they had been slow to open the scoring. And they did it while nothing seemed to predispose them there. With less than two minutes in the second period, shorthanded, Nick Merkley scored with a shot into the top of the net while Zachary Fucale was lying on the ice. Cole Linaker and Cole Martin got an assist on the play.

Les Remparts obviously did not like to see the Rockets score shorthanded, and answered with the same trick early in the third period. Even short of a man, Anthony Duclair managed to escape but was cornered by the Rockets’ keeper, Jackson Whistle. Ryan Graves however was passing by and he pushed the puck in the net.

Kelowna responded with a shot from the blue line by Josh Morrissey that deflected in goal and hit the target. Gage Quinney was credited with the goal. Then with an empty net and 1:04 to go, the Red Devils thought well add a goal to ensure victory, that of Adam Erne. It was reckoning without bickering end meeting that sent Nikolas Brouillard and Anthony Duclair in jail. The Rockets took the opportunity to withdraw their guard again and enjoy a surprising triple power play, where they were able to reduce the gap to a goal with 36 seconds still in play. The Rockets however did not manage to score an ultimate goal in this first game of the MasterCard Memorial Cup.

“We did not know if we were rusty, but one thing is certain: they were more ready to play,” analyzed Dan Lambert, the Kelowna coach, in French to reporters after the game.

“This is the first test that passed. We know what is Rimouski, this will not be an easy match, “concluded Philippe Boucher.

Categories: Sports

About Author

Quebec News in English

News from across Quebec. For more Quebec news, business, politics, sport, entertainment, opinion pieces, events and other information please visit our social media accounts: Facebook: Twitter:

Write a Comment

Only registered users can comment.